|by Budget Travel||Helpful Websites||2|
The Webby Awards are known not only as the "Oscars of the Internet." They're also famous for requiring acceptance speeches be no longer than five-words. (As Stephen Colbert joked last year, "Me, me, me, me, me!")
The 2009 nominees have been announced. In each category, there are two types of honors: the Webby Award, decided by The International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences, and the People’s Voice Award, decided by folks like you, of course. You have until April 30 to vote for the weirdest, coolest, most informative Web sites at The Webby People's Voice website.
Budget Travel was nominated under the "Travel" category (click here to vote for us!) but we are also interested in the nominees in the "Tourism" category. These are this year’s nominees:
• Asbury Park Boardwalk Jam to the online radio while you check out upcoming events on this music-themed Web site representing the seaside New Jersey town famously referenced in many Bruce Springsteen songs.
• Austin Now Playing Kick back and let the locals take you on a tour. Click on "Show Me Around," and the miniature local guides will help you "build your playlist" of activities online. Other options have a downhome Texas feel, such as: "Give Me Some Ideas," "Plan My Meeting," and "Go Solo."
• Tourism Australia Walk-about (pronounced wôk-bout) is an Australian term for a temporary return to traditional Aboriginal life that tourism officials have adopted to refer to a period of travel through the country's natural beauty. Check out the various weeklong paths you can take on the site's "Come Walkabout Planner."
• Tourisme Montreal On the homepage, click on a link to read blogs by locals. Find out the latest buzz on the street (in English and French).
• Visit Sweden This beautiful homepage features a map with six buttons of the cities and regions of Sweden. Click on the buttons to see a quick summary that leads to more information about the area.
Check back on their site on May 5 for the winners. The awards will be handed out on June 8.
—Isha Dandavate for Budget Travel