Budget Travel's Blog

The latest travel news, vacation tips & advice, travel apps, and more

may 28 2009

As of June 1, pack that passport!

Starting Monday June 1, you need a passport or other qualifying document to enter or re-enter the U.S. from Canada, the Caribbean, Mexico, Bermuda, and other foreign countries.

Bring a passport, passport card, enhanced tribal card, US military ID with travel orders, or one of the high-tech, pricey "Trusted Traveler" cards.

It won't be good enough to have a traditional driver's license anymore.

Kids under the age of 16, though, can still cross our border with a certified copy of their birth certificate or similar official proof of citizenship.

For more rules and details, visit the government's new website getyouhome.gov.


The lowdown on passport cards

Get Inspired with more from BudgetTravel.com

Note:This story was accurate when it was published. Please be sure to confirm all rates and details directly with the companies in question before planning your trip.


Loading Comments...

Our newsletter delivers vacation inspiration straight to your inbox.

Check Prices