|by Sia Ling Xin, Asiarooms.com||Art + Culture, Food + Drink, Pop Culture and Travel, Bangkok, Bangkok, Trip Ideas, Food + Drink||0|
Suffering from coconut ice-cream withdrawal symptoms post-Thailand trip? Here at AsiaRooms.com, we understand that feeling completely. Desperate for a fix? Try this super-simple homemade coconut ice cream recipe and enjoy the tastes of Bangkok right in the comfort of your home.
What you will need:
1 cup of milk, 1 cup of heavy cream, 1 cup of coconut milk, and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (mixture #1)
4 egg yolks, 3/4 cup of sugar, and a pinch of salt (mixture #2)
What you want may to add:
Young coconut flesh, coconut flakes, sweet corn kernels, crushed peanuts, or azuki red beans
How to prepare your awesome ice cream:
1. Pour mixture #1 ingredients into a saucepan and simmer on low heat for 3 minutes. Set the mixture into a bowl and allow it to sit for 10 minutes.
2. Whisk mixture #2 until sugar and salt dissolve completely.
3. Slowly whisk mixture #2 into mixture #1. Return everything to the saucepan and simmer on low heat. Stir slowly and constantly until the entire mixture starts to thicken. Then, chill immediately in the freezer.
4. If you have an ice cream maker, pour the entire mixture into it and let the machine work its magic. If not, freeze it until it's almost set, and churn with an electric mixer or by hand, then freeze again until everything's firm.
5. Add on any toppings you like and give yourself a deserving pat on the back and a large scoop of ice cream with the works. Enjoy!