1. Don't forget a second watch. The Trans-Siberian spans eight time zones, but all schedules are set to Moscow time.
2. Don't smile all the time. Russians consider it insincere-or dim-witted.
3. Don't say "Cheers." It's "Nazdarovye" (naz-da-rov-ye)! Master that and you'll have friends aplenty.
4. Don't sweat it. The Russian version of warm is broiling; pack light layers and bring some dry shampoo to freshen up (compartments don't have showers).
5. Don't turn down vodka. Ever. It's just plain rude. A sip is sufficient. And remember: Nazdarovye!