The Next Croatia
The former Yugoslavia has one more secret up its coast: Montenegro is a newly independent country that's small in size, but big on the next-destination map.
On our final night in Montenegro, there's a spectacular thunderstorm. From our balcony, we watch as the lightning splinters over the ocean and a yacht sails full-speed into the harbor. We head downstairs to Restaurant Drago. Our waiter serves us a pair of beautiful perch fillets. He heard that today is Leslie's birthday and wheels out a heart-shaped cake covered in sugar curlicues. As she blows out her candles, a family of sparrows chirps in the eaves above us, oblivious to the festivities below.
- Hotel Marija Stari Grad 449, Kotor, 011-381/82-325-063, from $120
- Vila Drago Slobode 32, Sveti Stefan, 011-381/86-468-477, viladrago.com, from $35
- City Caffé Pizzeria Stari Grad 358, Kotor, 011-381/67-563-663, pasta $5
- Cittadella Stari Grad 232, Kotor, 011-381/82-311-000, pizza $7
- Jadranska Straza Stari Grad, Budva, 011-381/86-403-849, squid-ink risotto $12
- Restaurant Drago Slobode 32, Sveti Stefan, 011-381/86-468-477, fish fillet from $13
- Maritime Museum Grgurina Palace, Kotor, 011-381/82-304-720, $3
- Our Lady of the Rock Perast, round-trip boat ride $4
The country code will soon change from 381 to 382.