5 Bargain Hotels in New York City
The editor of ManhattanUsersGuide.com recommends five great hotels that usually cost under $200 a night.
By Charlie Suisman and BudgetTravel.com, Wednesday, Sep 19, 2007, 2:02 PM
- The Pod Hotel The dated Pickwick Arms Hotel in midtown east Manhattan has been reinvented as the sleek Pod Hotel. Rates for a single with a shared bath start at $89 a night. Queen rooms with private baths start at $159. All have LCD TVs, iPod docking stations, and free Wi-Fi.
- Abingdon Guest House Located in the West Village on 13 Eighth Ave., this property offers doubles from $169. Comprised of two homey 1850s town houses, this colorfully painted spot has either private or en suite bathrooms, and many rooms have nonworking fireplaces. Light sleepers should avoid rooms facing Eighth Ave. Check-in is at Brewbar Cafe, the coffeehouse downstairs.
- Country Inn in the City On the Upper West Side (west of Central Park), this English-inspired inn might transport you to the British Cotswolds. Country antiques, four-poster beds, and hunting-lodge accents sing with Old World charm. Downsides are no credit cards and its three-day minimum stay. Reservations only. Doubles from $160.
- The Larchmont This 57-room property is tucked away on a quiet side street of charming, historic Greenwich Village. Stepping inside this lovely 1910 brownstone town house, you feel more like you're visiting a private residence than a hotel. (In fact, upon check-in, guests receive front-door keys and enter through a separate foyer.) The lobby is cheerfully decorated with a few oversize pieces including a large boar statue, wooden armoire, and brown leather couch. Rooms have rattan furniture, dark floral bedspreads, ceiling fans, and books to add a homey touch. All have shared baths. Rates: $90-$109 weeknights, typically $100/$125 weekends, continental breakfast included.
- Second Home on Second Avenue Don't be put off by the shabby facade of this 1900s town house—fun, even tastefully, appointed accommodations with soundproof windows lie inside. Choose from themed rooms—tribal, modern, Peruvian, etc. Doubles from about $100.