What is your best money-saving, time-crunching, fun-optimizing vacation strategy?
If there's one thing that sets Budget Travel apart from its peers, it's you—our readers have provided some of the most thoughtful, savvy travel tips this magazine has published in its 12-year span.
We celebrate the best of these in the Reader Tips section at the front of each issue and have included some of our favorites in Budget Travel's two most recent books. The Smart Family's Passportcame out in 2010, while The Smart Traveler's Passporthit shelves in 2007.
This week, we're on the hunt again for some fresh new travel tips to feature in an upcoming issue. But this time, we're raising the bar a bit higher to seek out the most original, unusual ideas.
To give you an idea of what that means, here below are the top 10 most popular tips submitted to us by readers:
1. Pack a Ziploc bag for any and all purposes.
2. Bring a nightlight so you don't stub your toe in dark, unfamiliar hotel rooms.
3. Pack old clothes so you can throw them away on vacation and fill the newly empty space in your suitcase with souvenirs.
4. Keep a scanned electronic copy of your passport and other important documents on an e-reader, laptop, or smartphone.
5. Print and bring along a chart to remind you of foreign exchange rate.
6. Split your family's clothing evenly between multiple suitcases—if one bag gets lost, someone isn't left completely without clothes.
7. Bring an empty water bottle through airport security and refill at a water fountain.
8. A steamy shower works just as well as ironing.
9. Don't forget to bring along a roll of quarters for tolls and parking meters.
10. Always take a picture of your rental car before you leave the lot to record any pre-existing damage.
These are fantastic ideas, all, but now we're looking for even fresher concepts, and we'd love to hear from you!
Email your best money-saving, time-crunching, fun-optimizing vacation strategies to email@example.com.
Be sure to include name and address—you want credit for your genius, don't you?!
More from Budget Travel