Google has revealed the top search terms of 2016 (Google.com/2016), and Budget Travelers will find lots of inspiration among the top destinations and travel trends. Of course, we've been searching right along with you all year long and have served up some great inspiration and start-today tips to go along with these rankings to stoke your wanderlust in 2017.
TOP SEARCHED TRAVEL DESTINATIONS OF 2016:
1. New York City. Budget Travel editors live and work in the Big Apple, where the Statue of Liberty welcomes visitors from every corner of the globe, and we are psyched to share"16 Secret Bargains in New York City."
2. Washington D.C. Who doesn't love a town where nearly every major attraction is free? To learn more, read "20 Fabulously Free Things to Do in D.C."
3. London. Each year at Christmastime, my thoughts turn to the Big Smoke and its greatest literary chronicler, inspiring "A Stroll Through Dickens's London."
4. Hong Kong. Among the countless reasons why this beautiful Chinese city should be on your travel list, we have learned how to score "Hong Kong's Most Stylish Steal: A Custom Tuxedo."
5. Thailand. We were feeling Thailand's affordable awesomeness this year too, which inspired us to produce one of our "day in the life" videos and an accompanying feature, "Make It Happen: Bangkok."
TOP SEARCHED TRAVEL TRENDS OF 2016:
"Airbnb" came in at no. 1 among travel-related search trends in 2016, underscoring the appeal of the company's home-sharing model.
Among Google's top 10 searched travel trends are several that Budget Travel regularly covers in depth:
"Weekend getaways" are more popular than ever, as travelers look beyond the idea of one big annual vacation and resolve to go exploring as often as possible. Our popular "Three-Day Weekend" series most recently celebrated Norway, Quebec City, and the Bahamas.
"U.S. national parks" was near the top of our personal list this year thanks to the centennial of the Naitonal Park Service. We were thrilled to share "Which National Park Is Best For You?"
"Independent travel" is, of course, a growing trend. We shared inspiration in "35 Easy Solo Trips to Try."
"Bucket list travel" certainly resonates with Budget Travelers, making our recent look at South Korea, "A Bucket-List Asia Trip You Can Afford," one of our most popular stories ever.
"Roadtripping" is one of the cornerstones of what we do at Budget Travel. Ready to go big? My last road trip was an epic "Park-to-Park Adventure: Glacier to Yellowstone."