NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN A PRIZE.
CONTEST OPEN TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES.
1. Promotion Period: "Budget Travel's "Real Reader" Contest" (the "Contest") commences on or about 9:00 a.m. (EST) on May 23, 2006 and ends at 11:59 p.m. (EST) on June 9, 2006. All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. (EST) on June 9, 2006.
2. To Enter: Submit the following via email to RealReaders@BudgetTravelOnline.com:
(a) Description(s): Each testimonial (of no more than 20 words each) should describe (i) your favorite section of BUDGET TRAVEL magazine (ii) the last great trip you took (iii) the next great trip you plan on taking and (iv) your greatest travel treasure (i.e., a souvenir) from a vacation you took in the last five years.
(b) Personal Information: your name, address, phone number, and email address.
(c) Photo: a digital photo of you, either alone or with your kids, spouse, partner, girlfriends and/or buddies, together with your travel treasure or a vacation photo taken within the last five years (color or black and white, jpeg format only, not to exceed a maximum file size of 400KB). You shouldn't include more than four people (total) in the photo; photos with more than four people in them will not be considered.
Each entry (collectively, the "Entries") must contain the entrant's original ideas and language. Emailed Entries submitted in accordance with these Official Rules shall be hereinafter referred to as the "Eligible Entries." Entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. (EST) on June 9, 2006.
If an Entry (including the photograph) is not the original work or property of the entrant, or if the information is incomplete on the registration form or any other information requested is not given, the Entry will not be accepted. No responsibility is assumed for incorrect or inaccurate Entry information whether caused by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in this Contest or by any human error, which may occur in the processing of Entries to this Contest. Newsweek Budget Travel, Inc. ("NBT") shall not be responsible for any problems or technical malfunctions of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of email or players on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at the Web Site or any web site or combination thereof, including injury or damage to participants or to any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating or downloading materials in this Contest. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of NBT that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest or for any reason NBT deems necessary, NBT reserves the right, in its sole and unequivocal discretion, to cancel, terminate, extend, modify, delay or suspend the Contest due to any reason of a technical, creative or other nature. Entries that have been tampered with or altered are void. In the event of a dispute over who submitted a winning Eligible Entry, the holder of the winning email account will be declared the winner. All Entries, including submitted photographs, become the property of NBT and will not be returned.
3. Winner Selection: During the week of June 12, 2006, representatives from NBT will screen all Eligible Entries, based on the judging criteria set forth below in Paragraph 6, to choose 5 Grand Prize Winners. The foregoing date is subject to change in NBT's sole discretion.
The Grand Prize Winners will be announced on or about June 19 2006; however, NBT reserves the right to delay announcement of the Grand Prize Winners in its sole and unequivocal discretion. NBT will contact the Grand Prize Winners by telephone or e-mail on or around June 19, 2006. If a potential Grand Prize Winner is deemed by NBT to be unreachable, or if such potential Winner should fail to comply with these Official Rules, an alternate Grand Prize Winner may be selected from all remaining Eligible Entries. All prizes will be awarded. Odds of winning depend on the number and quality of Eligible Entries
4. Grand Prize(5): Winners will receive a 3-day/2-night trip to New York City for them and, if applicable, the (up to three) other people featured in the photo they submitted (roundtrip airfare and accommodations included). The approximate retail value of this trip (assuming three people featured in the submitted photograph accompany the Grand Prize Winner) is $3,000. While in New York City, each Grand Prize Winner, and his or her group, if applicable, will participate, and agrees to participate, in a photo shoot, arranged and paid for by NBT, that will seek to capture them with their travel treasure. Any photos taken at the shoot will become the sole property of NBT.
5. Eligibility: Contest is open to legal residents of the continental United States. VOID WHEREVER PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. Employees of NBT and each of their respective affiliated companies, sponsors, subsidiaries, advertising agencies (and the immediate families of each) are not eligible. By participating in this Contest, entrants agree to be bound by these official rules ("Official Rules") and by the decisions of NBT whose decisions are final in all matters relating to this Contest.
6. Judging Criteria: Eligible Entries will be judged based on the quality of writing, originality and persuasiveness of the submitted essay, as well as the originality and creative appeal of the photograph.
All interpretations of these Official Rules and the decisions by NBT are final. NBT reserves the right, in its sole and unequivocal discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds or believes to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or Web Site; to be acting in violation of the Official Rules; or to be acting in a disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY A PARTICIPANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, NBT RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PARTICIPANT/ INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. THE NEW YORK COURTS (STATE AND FEDERAL) SHALL HAVE SOLE JURISDICTION OF ANY CONTROVERSIES REGARDING THE CONTEST AND THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK SHALL GOVERN THE CONTEST. EACH ENTRANT WAIVES ANY AND ALL OBJECTIONS TO JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THESE COURTS AND HEREBY SUBMITS TO THE JURISDICTION OF THOSE COURTS.
7. Arrangements for the fulfillment of the Grand Prizes will be made by NBT. NBT reserves the right in its sole discretion to substitute the Grand Prize with a prize of equal or greater value for any reason that NBT deems necessary. The Grand Prize is non-transferable. Grand Prize Winners and his/her parent or legal guardian if such Winners are under the age of 18, must sign (i) an affidavit of eligibility and release NBT and any and all affiliated entities from any and all liability, claims, demands and causes of action for personal injury and/or damage, theft, loss, or any other harm suffered in connection with this Contest or the use or acceptance of the Grand Prize or any portion thereof to be eligible for the Grand Prize; (ii) except where prohibited, a promotional release granting the right to use his or her name and likeness, as well as the essay and photo they submitted, and any photos taken at the New York City photo shoot, for advertising and publicity purposes without additional compensation. Entry into this Contest constitutes each Grand Prize Winner's agreement to sign such releases, and to procure signed releases from anyone accompanying them to New York City and/or featured in the photo submitted with their Eligible Entry. The affidavit and releases must be signed and returned within 14 days of the date of notification. Failure to sign and return the affidavit or releases within 14 days may, at the sole discretion of NBT, result in the Grand Prize Winner's disqualification, the forfeiture of his or her interest in the Grand Prize, and the award of the Grand Prize to an alternate winner. MOREOVER, ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY ANY GRAND PRIZE WINNER (AT NBT'S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH GRAND PRIZE WINNER'S DISQUALIFICATION AS A GRAND PRIZE WINNER OF BUDGET TRAVEL'S "REAL READER COMPETITION" AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS THE GRAND PRIZE WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINTATED. Upon receipt of any part of the prize, prize recipients are required to comply with any and all applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations. All taxes are the responsibility of the Grand Prize Winner.
8. Contestants hereby agree to submit their Entries under the following terms and conditions: (i) that NBT may use any ideas, concepts, material, in whole or in part, contained in an Entry; (ii) that all materials submitted (including photographs) become the property of NBT and will not be returned; (iii) that all materials submitted (including photographs) are free from any lien or claim by anyone; (iv) entrants have obtained all rights, permissions and licenses necessary to make the Entries usable for any purpose; (v) that no Entry or any part thereof infringes any trademark or copyright or otherwise violates anyone's right of privacy or publicity; and (vi) entrants indemnify and hold harmless NBT, from any claims, suits, losses, damages and expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees) that arise from any breach of the foregoing. All entrants agree to the foregoing and in addition agree to obtain, upon request of NBT any documentation and releases necessary to prove their unrestricted ownership in all materials contained in their Entry and their right to use such materials without limitation for any purpose. They further agree, if chosen as Grand Prize Winners, to assign all rights, titles and interests in all material and agree to sign such documentation as is necessary to formalize this assignment.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, entrants agree that their Entry may be used by NBT in whole or in part for any purpose whatsoever without compensation to non-prize winner entrants.
9. For a list of winners, which will be available by July 31, 2006, please send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to "Real Reader" Contest, c/o BUDGET TRAVEL magazine, 530 Seventh Avenue, 2nd Floor, NY, NY 10018.
10. This Contest is a promotion by Newsweek Budget Travel, Inc., 251 West 57th Street, NY, NY 10019.