U.S.-Canada border: "May I see some I.D.?"

Bt Thumbnail DefaultBt Thumbnail Default

Starting yesterday, thanks to the Department of Homeland Security, all Americans will need more I.D. to re-enter the U.S. by car from Canada. (Until now, only a driver's license or birth certificate was required.)

You must now provide border agents with two forms of identification. (If you have a passport, you'll only need to show that.)

The two documents must be a proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, and a government-issued photo ID, like a driver's license. Details and fine print can be found at the State Department's website (travel.state.gov).

My wife and I went to Seattle last year, and took a side trip to Vancouver. We waited in line for over an hour at Customs. I wonder how much worse the lines will be if the border agents need to verify several documents now. (My wife and I sped through at the gate itself as we had our passports ready.)

A new rule is expected to go into effect by summer 2009. That rule is expected to require U.S. citizens present a passport or a passport card when crossing the Canadian border and when doing other land/sea border entries.

If you don't have a passport yet—and most of our fellow citizens don't—go to travel.state.gov for instructions and applications. The fee is $100, as of today..

Of course, a larger issue remains: Should you need a passport to visit Canada? Our blog readers recently posted more than 100 impassioned comments about this topic. Read the comments by clicking here, and feel free to chime in.

Related Content